Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Judicial Assistance

Property, Trade and Commercial Complaints

The Department of State seeks to provide appropriate assistance whenever possible in claims involving U.S. citizens against foreign states.  However, the ability of the United States to pursue individual claims formally must be determined on a case-by-case basis in accordance with generally recognized principles of international law.  In order for the United States to be able to present a formal claim against a foreign government, the claimant must have been a U.S. citizen at the time the claim arose.  Furthermore, the claimant must have exhausted local judicial and/or administrative remedies, or have demonstrated that to do so would be futile.  Unless these conditions are met, the United States Government cannot consider formal presentation of a claim.  Inquiries about such claims may be addressed to the Office of the Legal Adviser, International Claims and Investment Disputes (L/CID), Department of State, Washington, D.C. 20520, telephone (202) 776-8430.

Further information about property disputes is available at the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs webpage “Judicial Assistance”, including information about finding legal counsel overseas.  For a list of some attorneys who practice law in Albania, you may consult our webpage “List of Attorneys.”  Please note that this list does not constitute an endorsement from the Embassy for any individual lawyer.

Albanian People's Advocate

  • Albanian People's Advocate Logo
    When to Complain to the People’s Advocate
    Every individual or group of individuals claiming that their legitimate rights and freedoms have been violated in Albania by an act, action or omission on the part of the Albanian central or local governmental bodies, or any other body vested with public authority are entitled to submit complaints, requests or notifications to the Albanian People’s Advocate.