Minor Applicants (Under Age 16)
All U.S. passport applicants, regardless of age, must apply in person by scheduleing an online appointment and by appearing at the consular section of the U.S. Embassy in Tirana upon gathering and completing the following required documents:
- Fill out Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport:
Please note that:
- Parent(s) must not sign the application;
- The minor's Social Security Number (SSN) must be provided in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E. Failure to provide information requested on the form, including the SSN, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of the application;
- This form is fillable online and you may fill it out before printing it. Handwritten form is also accepted, however, make sure it is clear and has no corrections otherwise will not be accepted.
- Submit Child's Evidence of U.S. Citizenship:
All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. Please make a photocopy of the original and submit it together with the original at the time of your application.
Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following in order):
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport;
- Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*;
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth;
- Naturalization Certificate;
- Certificate of Citizenship
*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.
Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must also include the full names of the applicant's parent(s). For more information, please see New Requirement for all U.S. Birth Certificates.
- Submit Evidence of Relationship:
Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant.
- Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents' names;
- Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents' names*;
- Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names*;
- Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents' names;
- Court Order establishing custody;
- Court Order establishing guardianship.
*All foreign documents submitted with a passport application must be accompanied by an English translation (formal or informal).
NOTE: Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as evidence of relationship. Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted, if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. marriage certificate, etc.)
- Present Identification of Parent(s)/Guardian(s):
All documentation submitted as proof of ID will be returned to you. Please make a photocopy of each original and submit it together with the original at the time of the application:
Primary Identification (One of the following in order):
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport;
- Naturalization Certificate;
- Valid Driver's License;
- Current Government ID (city, state or federal);
- Current Military ID (military and dependents);
- Current foreign passport or national ID card.
- One Passport Photo (5x5cm):
Please do not attach the photo to the application form. For more information on the photo requirements, please visit the Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs web page “Photograph Requirements.”
- Application Fee:
Payment is made to the cashier in the Consular Section, and can be done by cash (Dollars or Leke) or by credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express, Diners Club, and Discover.)
- Provide Parental Consent:
Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16 and be present together with the child at the time of application. If not, please read our web page “Parental Consent” and follow the instructions that best apply to your circumstance;
- Child's Growing-Up Photos (If applicable):
If the previous child's passport photograph was taken when the child was a baby, please bring “growing-up photos”. Typically we require approximately one photo every 3-6-12 months from the time the child was issued the previous passport, through the present.
- Schedule an Online Appointment:
Before you schedule an appointment please make sure you read all the information required above in order to apply for a U.S. passport. If, at the time of your appointment, you do not provide the required documentation, you will be asked to schedule another appointment. Please note that no visa inquiries will be taken during American Citizen Services hours.
To apply for this service, please schedule an online appointment through our online “Appointment System” and select the second option. If there are no spaces available in our appointment calendar and you need to travel soon, please e-mail us at email@example.com explaining your situation. Please include your contact information.
Please Note: If your passport application is approved, you will have two options to receive your new passport:
- By private courier (Albanian Courier):
If you would like to receive your passport via private courier, please inform us at the time you submit your passport application. Each passport delivery will cost 500 ALL within Tirana and 600 ALL outside of the Tirana area, for each passport. The payment will be made at the time of passport pick-up, at the Albanian Courier office. The consular assistant will fill out the courier's shipment form and provide you a copy, which will be used to pick up the passport from the Albanian Courier office in your city or town of residence, after you have been contacted by them via telephone.
- By pick up at the Embassy:
If you do not want to receive your passport via private courier, then our office will send you an email instructing you to appear and pick up the passport in person at our office. Please follow the instructions provided in that email.
Further questions regarding this topic should be made at the time of application submission.
• in color;
• 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 cm);
• on quality paper;
• on white background.